No decisions for family members
The Migration Agency has informed us that as of the first week in December they are not making any decisions for family members where the main applicant has been granted a permanent residence permit based on the time he or she has been working in Sweden.
This change is due to an alteration in the Aliens Act in July 2016. The case officers at the Migration Agency are currently waiting for instructions on how to proceed and meanwhile all applications are put on hold. We have not been given any time line as of when this can be expected to be settled.
The Migration Agency will most likely start looking at the maintenance requirements which may be the following:
- You have to be able to support yourself as well as the members of your family who are applying for residence permits. You also need to have a home of sufficient size and standard for all of you to live in.
- You need to show that you have a regular, work-related income with which you can support yourself and the members of your family who are applying for residence permits.
- You will also fulfil the maintenance requirement if you have sufficient savings or other assets for you, and the members of your family who are applying for residence permits, to live on.
- You must have a home of sufficient size and standard for all of you to live in. For two adults without children, a home with a kitchen or kitchenette and at least two rooms are sufficient. If children are going to live in the home as well, there have to be more bedrooms. Two children can share a bedroom.
- The home can be a sublet, but the lease has to be approved by a landlord, tenant-owners’ association or regional rent tribunal.
Salary slips and income statements should be sufficient to show that you can support the family. These documents have already been submitted along with your application for extension.
When we have received further instructions from the Migration Agency we will contact those affected by this new praxis.
Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.